Dear C
I’ve been thinking about the unconscious.
Maybe
that’s pointless.
Maybe
that’s missing the point.
But more specifically how we can cultivate the unconscious
How we can listen to the unconscious.
Some of our reading dealt with that
Perhaps that’s
the point of the class.
To discover
how to listen to the unconscious.
The text mentioned one way…
A sensory deprevation chamber.
I actually had the chance to experience this a few weeks
ago.
I was in Honduras for vacation with my family.
On the dive isle of Utila there is a man who has a business.
He calls it
“Float Utila.” http://www.floatutila.com/
It was one of the most
surreal and unusual experiences
I’ve ever had.
It was an 8 foot by 8 foot by 6 foot chamber.
There was about 6 inches of salt water on the bottom of the
chamber.
I got in. Shut the door. And laid down.
I was in complete
And utter
Darkness.
Blackness.
I’ll admit it was a bit strange,
and at first I didn’t know what to do with myself.
But
soon… I just gave in to the experience.
You
had to.
Otherwise
you would have been bored out of your mind.
Eventually I gave in…
And just
found…
Nothingness…
It’s hard to speak about what I felt
or what occurred for the
one hour and thirty minutes
I was in that chamber.
I just….
Floated.
That really is the best word to describe it.
In some ways it was an out of body experience.
At some
points I felt like my body had disappeared into the salt water.
And I was left as just a consciousness.
Just a mind.
Just existing.
After a while I did get bored.
But I found solace in rhythm.
I began to push off of one side,
and float to the other.
And I would count.
1,2,3,
4,5,6,
7,8
1,2,3
4,5,6
7,8
Inhale. Push. Exhale. Push.
Inhale. Push. Exhale. Push.
Inhale. Push. Exhale. Push.
Inhale. Push. Exhale. Push.
Inhale. Push. Exhale. Push.
Inhale. Push. Exhale. Push.
Inhale. Push. Exhale. Push.
I found a rhythm and was able to
forget about my mind.
And find that un(conscious) place.
I found that mountaintop experience.
The question now,
Is how to find ways to replicate that mountaintop experience?
Short of creating a sensory deprevvation chamber in my own
basement…
Which is
impossible.
I don’t
have a basement.
How do I replicate that experience?
How do I cultivate that same kind of presence of mind?
How do I cultivate that same kind of un(consciousness)?
Maybe
that’s the point of this class.
Hopefully
ill figure that out…
T
No comments:
Post a Comment